Natural teeth are very strong and usually aren’t damaged easily. Maintaining regular oral hygiene and making it a point to get dental checkups and cleanings done at least two times a year are some of the ways to ensure your teeth stay healthy and look good too.
However, if a tooth becomes damaged, decayed or has a very large filling, a root canal and crown can be used in combination to restore its integrity and appearance. At Hunsaker Dental, we have vast experience with dental crowns and all types of general dentistry procedures at our three locations in Salem, Aumsville and Monmouth.
When you come to our office for dental crown placement, Dr. Travis Hunsaker will have a detailed consultation with you. He will explain what a dental crown is, what materials are available, and the process used to fix it. Our dentists in Salem Oregon won’t recommend this treatment unless you are a suitable candidate for it and a crown is crucial for your dental health.
Different Types of Salem Dental Crowns
Crowns can be made from a variety of materials. Each of these materials has its advantages and disadvantages. Dr. Hunsaker will answer all your questions and ensure you have complete information about the treatment. The different materials that crowns are available in include:
- All Metal
- Porcelain Fused with Metal
- Ceramic or Porcelain
What Happens When I Get A Dental Crown?
The dental crown procedure is carried out in two appointments and this is the procedure we follow at our Salem dental office:
- The tooth will be numbed with a local anesthetic.
- The dental laboratory would require an accurate model of your mouth arches. The model will be used to create the crown for the affected tooth.
- In the interim period, between the first and second appointment, a temporary crown will be placed.
- In order for the crown to be set in place, the dentist would have to remove small amounts of your natural tooth.
- Once the tooth is ready, he will take an accurate impression of the tooth.
- As mentioned earlier, a temporary crown will be fabricated. You would wear this till the time the permanent crown is readied at the lab.
- During your second appointment, the dentist will carefully place the permanent crown and will fix it using a special dental cement.
- Minor adjustments will be made as required to create a proper bite and to ensure that the crown fits snugly in place and is comfortable.
The Best Crowns in Salem Oregon
Your dental crown is made to endure normal forces from grinding, biting, and chewing. However, it is very vital to understand these prosthetic’s aren’t indestructible. Your dentist will provide you with post-op care instructions once your Salem dental crown is in place.
If you want to know more about Salem dental crowns, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us at Hunsaker Dental. You can contact us through our website or visit one of our locations located in Salem, Monmouth or Aumsville today!