Natural teeth are incredibly resilient and don’t become damaged easily. With proper dental hygiene and regular visits to the dentist, it is possible to preserve this natural strength. However, if your teeth do become damaged, there are many treatment options available to help you regain the appearance of your teeth.
One of these treatment options is Dental Crowns. At Hunsaker Dental, we have carried out this treatment for several years now. Our dentists make it a point to explain everything about Salem dental crowns to our patients, which helps them make an informed decision. Our dentists will explain how crowns work, what is included in the process, the kind of maintenance they need, and address any other concerns.
What are Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns are prosthetic teeth used in dental restoration treatments. They either completely cap an existing tooth, or encircle a dental implant. Crowns serve two purposes;
- they protect the underlying tooth from further damage and decay, and
- restore the tooth’s overall structure.
Why do you Need a Dental Crown?
Our dentists will examine the condition of your teeth carefully before recommending any treatment. Our first instinct is to preserve the natural tooth as much as possible so the dentist won’t recommend a crown unless it is absolutely vital for your dental health. Here’s a look at some common reasons why you might need this treatment:
- Root canal
- Dental implants
- Dental bridge
- Broken tooth
- Worn down tooth
- Tooth with a large dental filling
- Severely discolored teeth
- Cosmetic restoration
Dentists can also recommend dental crowns for children with baby teeth if needed. Our dentist will only recommend it if the child’s tooth is severely damaged, can’t support a filling, or if the child is at high risk of tooth decay.
Different Types of Crowns Available
Salem dental crowns can be made from different types of materials. Each material has its pros and cons. Our dentists will provide information regarding these materials so you can choose the crown that best suits your needs. Here’s a look at the options available:
- All Metal – All metal crowns are made from metals like gold or silver. They’re expensive and visible, but they’re also very durable. Gold or silver crowns are resilient and allow patients to carry out their lifestyle without any hindrance. This means you can eat and drink almost any kind of food item. These crowns are unlikely to chip or break, which makes them some of the most durable replacements for natural teeth.
- Porcelain Fused with Metal – Porcelain fused metal provides the resilience of metal crowns with the appearance of a ceramic crown. The porcelain coating ensures the crown looks similar to the adjacent natural teeth. However, this layer is also vulnerable to chipping and cracks.
- Ceramic or Porcelain – Ceramic or porcelain crowns have the most teeth-like appearance, which is why they are so popular.
If you want to know more about Salem dental crowns, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us at Hunsaker Dental. You can contact us through our website or visit one of our locations today!
With Dental Bonding, you no longer need to hide away your smile. You will be able to flash a perfect grin confidently again. Give us a call today at Salem: 503-877-1598, Aumsville: 503-877-1594, or Monmouth: 503-877-1590 to schedule your appointment!